Monday, August 1, 2011

New Friend









We have a new friend.  One of the watchmen, Chinni, has taken upon himself the task of greeting us every morning when he arrives to work and every evening when he leaves the compound.  He is an older man who works as watchman for House 6. (We live in House 8.) He comes by each morning to greet us.  He may ask us to pray for him or he may pray for us in his limited English vocabulary.  Chinni also gave us a mini concert on his homemade “guitar,” formed from a dried-out hollow gourd, cow skin, a stick, and some thin wires.  I must say, it was pretty resourceful of him to create such an instrument. We videod him playing and singing and when he realized he was “on camera,” he really hammed it up. 

Greetings are very important to the people here.  We in the southern part of the US are somewhat accustomed to saying “Hey” or, at least, waving to or smiling at everyone we pass on the street.  We might even go so far as to say “How’s your mama an’ em?”  Here, you say “Good day.  How is your work? How did you sleep? How is your health? How is your wife? How is your husband? How are your children? How are your house people?”  The usual response to each question is “Naa.”  This process may take a few minutes and has taken some getting used to.  People just drop by to extend to you are “good day” or a “good night” greeting.  Usually, the local kids want to come by and greet our kids several times a day.  It is really sweet.
Relationships are very important.  Let us not take them for granted.  These are the foundations on which we can share the gospel.  Being here has opened my eyes to the fact that I have lived quite an isolated life back home.  I may have neglected simple gestures due to the fact that my life was so busy.  I am reminded how Christ was all about relationships.  He prioritized them above all other material or worldly enticements.  
Sometimes “busy-ness” can be an idol.  Household tasks can take so much longer to accomplish here since there is no shortcut for anything, but I must not let my tasks take priority over my telling.  I must take the time to relate to people. 
I’m glad Chinni reminded me of this 

Following . . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment